|added Sun June 05 2005 at 8:20 PM
|Okay, everybody's been complaining about the lack of pictures on the site. By everybody, I actually mean a couple people at institute and the like. At any rate, one thing I've noticed with my cool camera is that it's so much fun to take pictures, but not so much fun to post them to my website. Don't worry, this announcement is *not* saying that I'm canning JPics. In fact, it's quite the opposite.
I'm going to be upgrading JPics to allow for easy searching, commenting, and rating. Of course, I'm not going to enter in keywords for every picture, so I'm going to make it very easy for any user to add keywords. Ideally, the new system will allow people who enjoy viewing every picture (a.k.a. "Mother") to add keywords that people (a.k.a. average surfer) can search on later. The advantage to adding keywords will be that then when the regular viewer comes in search of "that picture," they can simply search for the keyword they chose themself.
Current features slated for creation during the first version are:
- The ability to sign on
- Bookmarks: once you're signed on, if you see a picture you like, add it to your favorites so you can find it again later
- Keywords: Not only will I use keywords to flag pictures (I can enter keywords such as "Boston Red Sox"), but the average user can flag pictures as well.
- EXIF data: I will attempt to expose all the exif data from the jpegs in the database. This will mean it will be easy to search for pictures based on the date the picture was *taken*. Also, I'll be able to easily display data such as shutter speed, ISO setting, etc.
- Comments and rating: Leave feedback on what you like, what you don't like, what you'd like to see in the future, etc.
- Traffic info: Not only will it be interesting for me to see what pictures are being seen, but you will be able to sort pictures based on the most viewed in the last two days, or even what pictures you haven't seen yet (you'd have to be signed in to use this, of course)
If any of you (my loyal readers) have ideas for other features you'd like to see, please let me know. It will be a lot easier to build extra data into the database from the beginning rather than try to add it on later.